Connecting the dots


During the first half of this semester, I’ve written about my experiences of college life in Amsterdam and team structure in my soccer team back in The Netherlands. Furthermore, I’ve written about opportunism in the DJ scene in Cambridge and the Illlinibucks option at UIUC. Most of them were written because of a prompt, however I always try to give my own touch to my posts. I believe that all posts connect to each other in the area of organizations, but also do they overlap other than the prompts.



First of all, I wrote about my college life in Amsterdam and I addressed here the case of exam trainings and transaction costs. A later post about opportunism reminds me that I could connect this with the exam trainings. I could act opportunism in this case, because I could have asked my money back after the training while the instructor already had spent his time on the training. Moreover, the structure posts can tie into the opportunism in the DJ scene post. As a DJ I was part of a structure which made the best international students nights in the clubs in Cambridge. George would be the chairman of the structure and in case he wasn’t around a manager would run the club. Lower in the structure you would find the bartenders, security and DJ’s.



Beside the connections of the posts to each other, I can more easily fit some important topics into my older posts. An example is transaction costs in the team structure posts. I believe that transaction costs are much higher in complex structures. When an employee want to give information to the CEO, this information has to go through a lot of different people at positions in a company. This takes time and often the information has changed during this process. In the structure post it wasn’t about transaction costs, however I can see now how it could have fit in there.



As a third, I started writing about too many things instead of going deeper into one topic in my first post. I also had to get used to writing blogs in a non-native language and I’m still learning how to write better. At this point I’m satisfied with my posts evolving, however there is always opportunity for improvement. I’m most satisfied that I can write an entire blog on one topic, instead of writing about some random things without connecting them; as I did in my first post.



Furthermore I enjoy writing these blogs more and more and I don’t find it hard yet to write about my experiences in organizations, however I hope we don’t get to a point where I can’t fit a prompt into my own experiences, because my experiences with organizations aren’t that great. So for further prompts, we could for example do a fictional post where we (students) can be the boss of something and have to create the best structure. Moreover, making a connection with the homework would be good too. We could write about the prisoner dilemma in real-life situations instead of seeing it as a game with numbers. Nevertheless, I’m happy with the prompts we got and I hope to write more blogs to be proud of in the further.

Comments

  1. Please note that you always have the option of writing something else, not addressing the prompt at all. If you do this, your obligation is to connect what you are writing about to the class. You might exercise this option if you find the prompt too limiting.

    I have had quite a few students in the class for whom English is not their first language. At the beginning it is a challenge, but after a while they seem to thrive in this activity. I'm not 100% sure why that is, but I would guess that it offers some freed of expression that is lacking in other courses, and having that is one reason to study on our campus and get some experience you wouldn't get back in your own country.

    I've had fewer students who are exchange students so are only staying in the U.S. for a year. To the extent that cultural matters are important in how organizations resolve their issues, I'm afraid that our class has a definite U.S. slant to things and the experiences I've had on which I base some of the teaching all happened in the U.S. with American companies.

    I am glad that you are getting some satisfaction out of doing these posts. I would encourage you to try to push more on the connections with earlier posts. I will make a note of instructing the class to do likewise. It will help you get more out of the activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This type of teaching style is indeed different compared with my experiences back in The Netherlands. I find the blogging very useful for my English writing development, what I don't do often in different courses. This gives the feeling that I can go deeper into the material compared with courses with only lectures.

      I'm only staying here for one semester and I try to learn as much possible about organizations from an American point of view. So I find your U.S. organization experiences interesting and very instructive. I even believe that this course might even more useful for me as a foreign student, because I experience a different culture of economics in organizations.

      In the future I'm going to try to connect my posts with earlier posts and with topics treated in class. It might be helpful if you could posts or instruct how to do this well. Giving some tips and answers on questions like; how should we refer to older posts? would be useful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gift exchange is everywhere

Illinibucks options

Decisions for the future